The legal industry focuses on the law and its applications. Many employees in the legal sector are lawyers representing their clients in legal proceedings for:
- Real estate
- Criminal law
- Family law
Besides lawyers, the legal industry consists of numerous positions, such as paralegals and legal assistants.
Some trends influencing the legal sector include:
- New technologies in the courtroom
- Companies choosing alternative legal service providers for their legal needs
- More lawyers choosing a freelancing career instead of a formal law firm structure
- Discovery process documents and other information being stored and shared electronically instead of on paper
Some problems in the legal industry include:
- Cybersecurity: Some law firms have outdated cybersecurity systems, making their confidential data vulnerable to hackers. Phishing scams are the most common cybersecurity issue legal firms face, and they will try to gain sensitive information from a client using a digital format. Data breaches are also a concern since law firms have many private files stored on their computers.
- Client expectations: Clients expect more legal services for a lower rate. Do-it-yourself legal services and legal entities have cheap pricing models, so clients expect many law firms to offer similarly low prices. These prices make it challenging for legal industry professionals to remain competitive.
- Technological changes: New technology has changed processes and workflows in the legal sector. With so many technology solutions on the market, law firms may struggle to decide what they need and how to implement it.