Education Industry Standard
The Education Industry
Primary, secondary and higher education institutions educate children, adolescents and adults to help them learn skills vital for the workforce. However, school systems struggle to provide these key skills due to a lack of infrastructure to support sustainable growth and developments like new technology.
ISO certifications for the education industry help school systems navigate a complex and competitive environment by addressing their challenges.
About the Education Industry
The Education Industry provides knowledge on various subjects in primary and secondary schools. Education also includes college, university and higher education institutions that teach specific skill sets tailored to a particular field. This industry has seen many changes over the last decade, from new laws about education standards to technology developments in the classroom.
Some trends in the education field that will change industry practices include, but are not limited to:
- Migration from in-person to online classrooms
- Increased prevalence of low-cost and free digital textbooks
- Introduction of augmented reality and virtual reality technologies in the classroom
A well-managed school system helps students thrive and be successful. Since educational facilities are training the workforce for other sectors, the education industry is crucial in domestic and global economies. This importance makes education industry standards essential for schools to become competitive in the field.
Challenges in the Education Industry
The Education Industry faces many challenges stemming from environmental and financial factors. These factors are identified as problems at various levels, from students to lawmakers. These parties place increasing demands on the education system, requiring schools to have efficient resource management. Since education is becoming an economic sector, school systems are expected to perform at high levels and offer quality services.
Some challenges in the education industry include:
- Contributing to the health and safety of students, faculty and staff: Since health and academic performance are connected, school systems need to be a healthy and safe environment for those working and learning there. Providing adequate opportunities for exercise and healthy foods in educational facilities is a challenge due to a lack of funding for these programs and available time within school hours.
- Fostering a sustainable and resilient organization: Many industries are expected to have environmentally friendly practices, including education. Sustainability is challenging to implement in school systems due to having no structure, funds or policies for eco-friendly initiatives.
- Providing cutting-edge facilities: Educational facilities are encouraged to adopt technology in the classroom and the administrative back-end to set themselves apart and improve efficiency. Technology implementation must be carefully completed — a lack of training on or understanding of the technology results in wasted time and funds, limited potential of the technology’s success and sensitive data made vulnerable.
Education systems must change their methods for operation and management to meet these standards. Improving the educational environment helps students be successful academically and personally.
Benefits of Education ISO Certification
Education is a new sector for ISO certification. An increasing number of school districts and universities in the United States, United Kingdom and elsewhere are pursuing certification to these standards. Adapting ISO standards for education helps you manage the challenges this industry faces. Standards compliance can give educational facilities many benefits:
- Make your structures more efficient: ISO standards for education improve the day-to-day workflow in educational facilities by implementing new or additional processes. Staff can spend less time on administrative operations and more time on valuable work, such as teaching students.
- Effectively use financial resources: Implementing a quality management system in your school, such as ISO 9001, demonstrates to taxpayers that you manage your funds well.
- Improve educational value: Being certified to ISO standards for education allows you to improve your educational initiatives and prepare students for successful post-graduate studies and careers.
- Establish quality controls: Educational facilities can implement quality management systems and mechanisms tailored to the industry.
- Implement sustainable practices: Standards for environmental management systems, such as ISO 14001, will help your educational facility improve its green initiatives.
- Stand out in the market: For higher education institutions, ISO certification can help your university stand out from the competition. It affirms that your school has excellent education programs and outcomes for students.
- Enhance data security: Establish protections and measures to keep confidential information secure with ISO certifications for information security management systems. You can reduce your educational facility’s likelihood of a security breach and make students and staff feel confident that their information is secure.